Thursday, December 10, 2009

Really? Your music is 'better' than mine?

This argument has always made me laugh. Yeah, its also angered me at times too. I don't get it. How is one type of music so much better than another? If someone feels something from it, if they relate to it, why is it not as worthy as what you listen to?

Are there some types of music that boggle my mind? Hell yes. For that reason, I don't listen to it. I don't listen to the music that annoys me. I don't listen to the sounds thinly labeled 'music' either, but for someone, that's what they love. Who am I to tell someone their music is 'stupid' or 'cliche' or 'outdated' or 'lame'? I won't insult your music, don't insult mine.

If you don't like a certain type of music, you aren't forced to listen to it (unless you are in some sort of class or at work where they pump it out to you) you can choose something different. With that said, it also wouldn't kill you to expand your horizons. Listen to new things. New types. You may not listen to it all the time, or relate to all of it, but there are tons of artists for each type, you may be surprised. I often am.

I love all kinds of music. There are only 2 genres of music that I can't really stomach well and would really rather never hear, but even of those, I have heard artists that I can listen to and enjoy. Its all about not limiting yourself. You can't put some lyrics to some types of music, it just wouldn't work, so you have to expand your horizons to hear what others are saying.

Its so interesting the different worlds you get to enter when you allow for that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All the shrapnel

The shattered pieces are the hardest to get out.
Like buried shrapnel under the skin,
The fragments stay hidden long after it was broken
And sometimes all it takes is the changing of the weather
Or to sleep wrong
To bring with it memories and new pain.




No comments:

Post a Comment