Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Its all a matter of they said vs we said

For the past few days Kansas has been worrying over their state budget and how to pay employees and schools and programs. Seems we have been borrowing from Peter to pay Paul here in a way. Legally, the state legisature HAS to balance the budget. They can't keep borrowing from one program and hope for the best.

The plan presented asked for that to happen. The lawmakers said no. The Governor said I'll simply veto anything you cut. The lawmakers said fine, we won't do anything because its irresponsible to do so. Back and forth. Then comes the bitter 'well you are from that party, so that's why you are doing that.' There was even some accusations of blackmail. (Seriously, I love politics, because beyond the serious part of people not getting paid, how childish and funny is that?!?)

Just a little while ago I found that the bill is going to be passed. The cuts that were proposed are not going to be vetoed. People will get paid. And the budget will be balanced.

This is where the 'recession' (I really don't want to use that word, but for this, I sort of have too) is effecting things. There isn't enough money for the state government to stay at the level that it is. I would NOT want to be in the House or Senate this year. The stress over what to cut back on is not going to be easy..or go over well with everyone. Of course, what will be emphasized is the cutting of school budgets/payouts. What won't be emphasized is that they really didn't cut any low income, needy or disabled funding.

Its all just turning into a Republican/Democrat thing anyway, regardless of what is really happening.

Caroline is thinking, that for once, she is glad she is not working for the State or an elected representative. There is a first time for everything I guess.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walked by the mirror
And I noticed something different
But was unable to tell what
Things seemed so much the same as before
Yet, something was so changed
I took a step back
To get a wider view
I took a step forward
Blocking out the room around
Then I saw it
What I had been avoiding
I must have known all along
But didn't want to see
That the eyes,
The window to the proverbial soul
Had changed from what they were
For better or worse,
I still couldn't tell
But the difference was hard to deny

No comments:

Post a Comment