Saturday, February 14, 2009

Wax poetic

Valentine's day has never meant that much to me. I don't count it as a 'card' holiday, because I thought it meant something more...and started out as something more.

Yes, I do love flowers..but I never expect them on this day. Only friends and family get them for me anyway. lol Candy on the other hand...that's a staple product of this day. (getting off topic here. lol sorry!)

Today was weird. For reasons I don't feel like getting into, I was very happy that everything I did today basically kept me out of the field of 'couples'. This doesn't mean I hate love though. One of my best friends had her first date with her husband on this day (oh, its a good story) and I have seen some good things happen for others. I am after all, a romantic at heart.

Simple surprises or acts of kindness make me smile. Simple nearness on this day is more than enough.

But, Caroline was thinking of waxing poetic today. For that she wants to share one of her favorite poems. One she's had memorized for YEARS.

The Night Has a Thousand Eyes
By Francis WIlliam Bourdillon

The night has a thousand eyes,
And the day but one;
Yet the light of the bright world dies
With the dying sun.

The mind has a thousand eyes,
And the heart but one;
Yet the light of the whole life dies
When love is done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did write a poem today..or two...but thought I would share one I wrote a few months ago. It fits the day better...so....bah.

Magnet

The magnet in your soul

Seems to pull at me at every way

Sitting next to you I have to struggle against

The unconscious will to touch your leg

Your arm

The hair at your temple

I have to fight the urge to turn and lay

In the crook of your arm

So easily I can see these simple movements

The ease it would be to my mind

To slip my hand into yours

Just the physical connection between you

And me

To complete some unseen circle or pattern

Normal routines to my life

Have already succumb to the pull

Of your voice and laughter

The innocent chatter seeming to

Reset my day

Like the magnet at the Poles

Resets the world

No comments:

Post a Comment