Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Manners? What are manners?

I worry about whether or not I am building a strong background in manners with my son. I cringe when some 'basic knowledge' thing for me, completely alludes him. I have delt with too many people already in my short life, to know that way too many people don't grasp basic manners. This bothers me...greatly. (Which is also why it's so much harder on me when my son doesn't grasp them either.)

I think perhaps this is why I love reading old novels and stories. Manners weren't an 'option' they were required. I don't know when that started changing. Sure, sure, you can count some things like chivalry's decline on the feminist movement. (Seriously, I see nothing wrong with someone opening the door for me or walking me to my door.) But basic politeness like, oh, not yelling at a clerk for no reason, not blocking walkways when you know someone is trying to get through, not sighing loudly behind someone, waiting for a friend to reach their car/door, acknowledging someone...things like that seem to have slipped through the cracks of society and died a painful death.

Caroline is thinking that she wishes more people would use their manners in public. Maybe if they did, then the younger generations (and heck, some of the older ones too) would catch on and learn from example. What a nicer world it would be.

Caroline is also thinking that it's rather sad that her son woke up sick this morning (SO not something she can deal with at those early hours..ok, ever really). It was his birthday, and it was rather sad. He actually slept through most of it, so he didn't dwell too much on missing fun times. He was still running a fever tonight, so no school tomorrow either. Hopefully by Thursday he will be OK. She will be taking him to an arcade with some of her friends and family this weekend as long as he is up too it. He seems pretty excited about that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today I remember
Today I celebrate and recall
Today memories bring smiles
Today I am grateful for all you've brought into my world
Today I am glad you were given a chance to be with me in this life
Today is for you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment