Thursday, February 12, 2009

That I need people to go in on this with me

So a few weeks ago (yes, I realize that I took much longer to read the book then my norm. I was degesting it all) a friend lent me a book called The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. Now, I was told it was a good book. I was also told/read that I would not probably want to eat meat, and that some people take it the wrong way. I went into with an open mind.

The first few chapters, honestly, I almost put it down and walked away. Maybe he didn't mean things to sound the way he did, but it annoyed me. However, I have a hard time walking away from books...and I figured my friend would give me crap. lol So I continued, and the book grew on me. It became more interesting and I found that while out with friends, I would start talking about things from it. (Always keeping in my mind that a little knowledge can do more harm...) I was hooked.

The pessimistic side of me, always takes health claims with a grain of salt. New ones come up every year. He addressed this, which I thought was pretty bold, and got my attention & respect. He was honest about all angles, not just the one. I actually didn't see him trying to force a way of eating onto me. I saw things laid out for me to take in and make my judgment calls.

I've tried to be a vegetarian before. For health reasons, its actually better for me...but I love my meat. I can't help it. I have, however, added a lot more tofu and the like into my diet over the years. One would think, after reading some parts of this book, I wouldn't want to eat any more meat...but I do. I just want to start being pickier about where I get it.

He addresses a type of farmer that call themselves 'grass farmers'. I won't get into it too much about what makes them different, but I tell you what, I want their products. I can respect what they are doing and want to support them. Besides, I like the idea of buying local. Now, the farmer he stayed with is way on the East coast, so there is no way I can do that, but I was looking online and there are quite a few in Kansas. WOO HOO!! At www.eachwild.com they list farms in your area that prescribe to this way of farming.

I would like to do more research on each of these farms in my area. I have time to do so too, because they sell seasonally. What has grown naturally over the 'normal' set of time.(There are a few that do eggs as well, that I would like sooner...) They aren't big farms just fattening up hundreds of cows or chickens as fast as they can. (ok, maybe I am a little brainwashed. lol) Lots of times these farms encourage you to visit them, and I think that would be a great idea as well. It would be nice to actually know where my food is coming from, and where/what my money is going to.

Caroline is thinking, that since many of these farms will ship, it would be cool if others wanted to join in too. Or at least take some road trips to see these farms. She wants to see for herself if they really are as different as they prescribe themselves to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Many times today I had poems come to me. Each time I was not near paper or I wasn't able to get to my book to write them down. So now, all I have are snippets of them floating around in my mind. Very frustrating!! I haven't had that happen in like 2 months! ugh. So I'm going to wing it tonight. Bare with me. :)

The joy on your face
Was more than enough...
But the twinkle in your eyes
Had the power to erase
Any sadness around my heart
And the weight of such a heavy world

"So you're a line cutter?"
She heard a man utter
So clearly behind her back.
Her hazel eyes widened
And her shoulders heightened
As she debated what she should do.
Taking a deep breath,
Thinking embarrassment is close to death
She turned to face her critic.
"I swear I didn't see anyone here."
The boy's girlfriend looked like she wanted to disappear
"I'm sorry, but were you talking to me?"
"Ah, no I'm sorry. you're fine.
My girlfriend was just trying to get ahead of me in line."
Which earned him a punch in the arm.


2 comments:

  1. If I knew 100% I was buying from local farmers who treated their animals with respect and not like a paycheck, I would still be eating meet. J likes to go on and on about how "factory farming" is a European thing and that all the meat I get here is small farm raised, etc. etc. but he's just plain wrong. I've been a veg too long to go back now, but I tell ya what - every now and then I do crave a good stake or a rack of lamb. I must borrow this book from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was quite surprised by the book's honesty. But this is also why I want to go visit one of the farms, to see if they really are that way. If anything, we can find one that has dairy for you. I saw a couple listed on the website. ...and you'll have to borrow the book from J after he gets to finally read it. lol

    ReplyDelete