Sunday, November 28, 2010

Awkward? Yes.

So I thought I pressed post yesterday on this, guess not. Bah, that's twice. Anyway, take this as Saturday's post, as that is when I wrote it.

Today I took the boy and one of his friends to see Harry Potter. I thought this was brave on my part since they are both eleven. lol However, it went fine. No crazy shinaningans before or during the movie. A bit of talking, but not too bad.

After the movie I HAD to get gas, so drove over to the closest one. It's not my place of choice so I was only getting a few gallons. As I was putting the gas in, the boy's friend went inside to go to the bathroom. (Why he couldn't go at the theater while they were waiting on *me* in the bathroom, I have no idea.)

When he came out he was saying how we'd never guess what was over the toilet. He whispered, the boy started laughing. I wasn't sure what could be so strange in a men's room, but who knows right? He was saying how weird it was and (big laugh here) there were 5 different kinds. When he said there was even a glow in the dark, I knew. Condoms. Of course...and OH MY GOD MY SON AND HIS FRIEND ARE TALKING (GIGGLING) ABOUT CONDOMS IN THE CAR WITH ME!!

They found it totally gross and surprising that they would be in the bathroom..and for only $0.75 too. "Those are usually by the register." I really wanted to say something, but this was also someone else's kid, how do I know what they would or would not want him to know?

I was having a bit of a hard time not laughing at this situation, but when the friend focused on the fact that there were glow in the dark and "why, what would be the point, that doesn't make sense," I almost had to pull the car over or something. The boy was just giggling and saying yeah. "That's just wrong and why would you do that, its wasted." ....the latter isn't verbatim, but something along those lines.

I was never more grateful for a topic change then I was today. Five minutes of this subtle, but not directly saying anything was weird. I figure that maybe I should have said *something* but I have no idea what it would have been. I guess I figured letting them get it out was my way of saying condoms aren't bad? Or it could of been my COMPLETE mortification that the conversation was happening at all.

2 comments:

  1. I started giggling at this too. I guess it's a good thing that they know what condoms are just as long as they aren't using them until they are 30?

    ReplyDelete