Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What flirting means

This article was on the KU website this week. It showed up on Monday, I read it, and then took the quiz to find out what kind of flirt I am. Yes, it sounds silly...or just stupid. In some ways it was interesting though. ...and not just because someone has actually made it their life's work to figure out the mystery of flirting.

Jeffrey Hall, assistant professor of communication studies at the University of Kansas, had broken flirting types down to five ways: physical, traditional, polite, sincere and playful. From there he has studied what kind of relationships these types of flirts have. I'm not going to lie when I say that I was shocked at him saying that those who are more physical flirts have longer, better relationships. I mean, some of what he says makes sense but....really?

I'm not really going to go into what kind the quiz said I was (it wasn't what I thought would come out of it at all honestly). I will say though, based on what he says, maybe that's why I am how I am. lol I mean, we have our ways of perceiving the world. Our boundaries. What we consider ok and socially fine. We have those habits that we don't notice all the time.

Who would of thought that something so simple in the interaction of two people could determine if that person is going to be able to be in a relationship and for how long. This isn't one of those Facebook "what kind of flirt are you" quizzes either. Or maybe it is, and maybe like other things, I just have thought about it too much. Not like I can change some things about myself. (Yes, I can change some things, I know.)

I don't know, it just makes me think. ...and that is what Caroline's been thinking.






No comments:

Post a Comment