Monday, November 15, 2010

Late night loves

When I was in college I worked for a pizza place. Generally I would make it home by 4:30/5am on a good day. Despite being exhausted (and needing sleep so I could go to class by 11) I would chill out in the living room for a bit to decompress. I'd plop on the couch and turn on the TV and flip. At that time (both in regards to the time of day and the year) MTV would still play videos. Just for a few hours. For about two weeks straight, every time I watched, Radiohead's Paranoid Android would play. I had not really listened to Radiohead before. I mean, I am sure I heard their music, but didn't know it. After the first week it grew on me. The second week I longed to hear it when i got home. Then I bought the album. ...and listened to it over and over again.

Would I have liked the song if I hadn't heard it at that time of day? Chances are I might of liked it, or tolerated it. After all, many fans of Radiohead aren't big fans of that album. I, however, love it. I still stop my world when that song comes on. I still can see the poorly animated video.

Same goes with infomercials. If I saw one during the day, utter crap. I laugh and turn the channel. In the early morning darkness however, its mesmerizing. You (others have attested to this, so broad for everyone) find yourself watching it...and wondering if you should actually spend $20 on such an ingenious product. I only fell for it once though, but who does't love Richard Simmons?!?

So I wonder, if I love some things more because they came to me at night. When my mind was in whatever state of...mind? I have found that things I encounter at night. Things I discover later. These are things that stick with me. That I let become a part of me...or I have more tolerance for. Maybe its due to being susceptible to suggestion at that time...but I have night friends too, so seems a bit off to say that. lol



No comments:

Post a Comment