Thursday, November 11, 2010

My own personal archives

I haven't used (seen) my social security card in years. Its in my house somewhere, but since it is not something I use, I just don't know where it's living at the moment. I started a new job this week, and figured it wouldn't be too much of an issue. For I-9 forms you can use different forms of identification, and I had those. No biggie right? Nope, the main organization I work for requires your ssc. You have to show it to them. So flipping weird. On Tuesday I began my quest to find my card.

Its funny when you are looking for something how you can picture where it is in your mind. I pictured it with these papers, and then in that drawer, and then in that cup with the photos. I could see it so clearly in all these places. The reason I saw it in so many places though, was because it wasn't in any of them and I had to try and figure out where else it could be. I tore through everything in my house. I went out the the garage and pulled boxes off of shelves. I emptied out desk drawers. I spread stacks of papers franticly all over the floor in almost every room of the house.

I couldn't find it. (The card isn't the main part of the story, but I will say I never found it, I ended up going to the Social Security Administration to get a new one and thankfully they were able to give me a proof of card number so I could get entered in the work system and get paid!)

The funny thing about going through all these files was that I had some from 1995. 1995! I think I had some older if I really think about it. You could look through these papers and see my life. You could see what I was doing. Who I was hanging out with. Where I was working. Part of me thinks this is awesome, and that I should just stack them all back up and put them back in their homes of boxes or drawers. Another part of me is thinking I should either put it all in a fire or trash bag. Why do I need it all after all? Who cares about this stuff other then me?

At my new job we have the archives of a member of Congress. These archives include all correspondence, gifts, books, photos and all sorts of miscellaneous items. These are being studied to track his life. Its amazing to get to see this person's life from beginning to now. This is where I have to stop though, because this person made a huge difference in the world. This person's past can teach us about policy and collaboration and perseverance.

My papers not so much. Its a little sad really, but, I can hear some people screaming now "THROW IT OUT THROW IT OUT THROW IT OUT!!" I probably will, don't worry...but don't be surprised if I am stuck in my own little world of the past this weekend while I look through what to toss. ...and if I do decide to burn it, you are all invited to watch...and roast marshmallows. lol




1 comment:

  1. Ya know, with a scanner and a hard drive you can throw it out without loosing the data. Best of both worlds? Though, I was someone yelling at you to throw it out - but not everything, keep a momento or two.

    ReplyDelete