Thursday, November 12, 2009

Maybe I shouldn't post when I'm pissed... (UMB Bank Update)

...But I'm pissed.

Update from my earlier post where I didn't out UMB as the bank that turned greedy.

I am trying to remain calm. I think I did for as long as I could. Not being able to do anything though, is likely to drive me crazy. Because I am helpless. I am a small account. I am one person. I do not matter, so there is no reason to help. There is no reason to make it right. But by all means, you surely can talk condescendingly to me. Seems fair.

I went to the bank today. I went in calm. I waited for the guy to come out. I told him what was up. I told him about what had happened in Sept and Oct and this month. I told him I could no longer afford to bank at their bank. I told them I wanted to close my account. He looked. He 'explained' how the postings work and how what I said happened could never happen for the first one. Things always post within 3 days. And of course, they can choose any of those three days.

The most fun about this part (and this is why I didn't want to talk to them before or anymore) is that their computer system that they see our accounts on, is totally different then the one they let us see online. Or that they print for us. Just another way of making sure that you can never be right and that there is always a way to show that they are right. Go UMB. Sad thing is I am sure they are not the only bank to do it this way.

So he wasn't going to do anything about ANY of the fees, and because the fees were there they can't close an account. Oh, but they can charge it off and send me to collections!Oh, and it won't show up on your credit report or anything, you can just make payments that way. That way I won't get any more negative balance fees in the open account! Isn't that nice?!

In his defense, the man I spoke with was being nice. He didn't look like he was enjoying this, but that he just couldn't/wouldn't do anything. He did offer to hold the account till Monday to talk to his branch manger and then she could talk to me, but I work, I wouldn't be able to, and for what? For her to tell me that they are in the right and there is nothing they can do for me either? I sat and thought for a minute about it, but then told him I couldn't come in that day, I was off today and tomorrow. Then he thought he could grab the customer service manger and she could help.

Of all the ideas he had, this was the worst one. Because *service* was not what she wanted to be doing. She was instantly rude. Basically started off with so you want to charge this off, why don't you just do so. I explained about the past three months. Again said, I didn't think you all would do anything then, but I am in now. I don't think those charges are right. To which she turned and looked at me and was like 'well, you come in talking about all these old charges that you said you think were wrong, but you never called or came in and now you want something done about them, and they are probably all valid charges anyway, what do you think we could do?' If my eyes could have turned red, they would have.

I had been calm. I hadn't spoken in anger. I hadn't whined. I hadn't cried. I had simply spoken and then by the end of her talking, I did get a bit pitchier in my voice. So she asked if I wanted to charge off again. I hesitated again, I was also getting pissed. "Do I need to sign anything or do something?" "No, we will just do it right now." I thought a minute. I don't really want a charge off on my record, whatever he says. I also knew that it would mean I couldn't open an account at another bank until its paid off...which means I would have to pay their bs fees.

Then she said something else. I don't really remember what it was, but it was rude and condescending and that was the final straw. I stood up and smiled and said "yeah, do that. Close it or whatever." She looked at me confused. "I said, yeah, do that. Because, you know, I didn't think you all would be helpful, but I gave you a chance. I have people curious to know what you would do, and now I get to tell them. So yeah, do that." They both looked at me with both confusion and maybe a bit of shock. Walking away, shaking my head I said, "Yeah, I can't wait to tell everyone I know."

I am sorely disappointed in UMB.

lol I also have no bank now. Woot! This should make bill paying fun!



2 comments:

  1. The inconvenience of not having a bank has to be less stressful than worrying about what fees or other things are going to happen with your old bank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I should have said that. At least I know that if I am holding $10, that $10 isn't going to suddenly become -$26 after fees.

    ReplyDelete