Thursday, November 19, 2009

Where do you live?

Growing up in Joplin, I wasn't old enough to drive (obviously) and the town was spread out enough, that I didn't go wandering all over. I went where my family went. That's what I knew. Slowly, over time, I learned where everyone I went to school with lived. I have been to all their houses. I just knew where everyone was.

When I moved to Oklahoma for a year, same thing, I just knew where everyone lived. Went to everyone's house.

When I moved to Kansas, the town I finished HS in, I learned fast. First because of where I lived in relation to the school and how close so many others did too, and then because my friends could drive. I knew where everyone lived. I had been to everyone's house...even those I didn't like. It was just normal. I knew where my friends (and enemies) were.

Then I moved to Lawrence. The same happened here. I went to everyone's house, everyone came to mine. I knew where my friends were. The past few years, lots of my friends have moved away. Now, this sounds weird, but now I only know where about a quarter of my friends live. I could probably give you a general area for all of them, but I haven't been to many of their houses. Its weird to me when I think about it. Its weird that I could be driving down their street and pass their house without even knowing it.

Yeah, that is what Caroline is thinking tonight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What we want to hear

The words that were needed
Things that had been hoped to be said
Were left out of the plans the day had
Or forgotten in loo of other things instead
They weren't important words
Or filled with some deep powerful meaning
But they were words sorely missing from the day
And could have prevented it from going careening
The words can not be prompted or guilted into use
They would only work if said freely and said with utter truth
Making a soul feel better when they are feeling low
A complement, on the house of life, is a stronger roof





No comments:

Post a Comment